Nairobi, Kenya – (African Boulevard News) – Pastor Paul Nthenge Mackenzie remains in prison after being accused of what has come to be known as the “Shakahola massacre.” The court ordered his continued detention on Wednesday, May 11th, 2023, after hearing the gruesome details of the killings attributed to his evangelical sect followers.
The accused allegedly led his followers into a forested area in southeastern Kenya, where the killings took place. Reports suggest that at least 145 people lost their lives in the massacre, with the number likely to rise as more bodies are discovered.
The incident has sent shockwaves across Kenya and beyond, with many calling for justice for the victims. The authorities have launched an investigation into the incident, and it is believed that they have significant evidence linking Pastor Mackenzie to the killings.
According to sources, the accused’s followers had been living in the forest for the past two years, where they had built makeshift structures, and were reportedly awaiting the end of the world. It remains unclear what led to the massacre, but some reports suggest that there may have been disagreements among the followers, which escalated into violence.
The incident has once again highlighted the dangers of extremist religious beliefs and the need for effective measures to prevent such tragedies from occurring. Experts have called for greater scrutiny of such groups to prevent them from operating with impunity.
“Such groups pose a threat to the peace and stability of our society and must be dealt with decisively,” said a security expert who spoke to African Boulevard News on condition of anonymity.
Meanwhile, the families of the victims are still coming to terms with the loss of their loved ones. Many of them are demanding justice for the innocent lives lost in what has been described as one of Kenya’s most horrific massacres.
“They must pay for what they have done. We want justice for our loved ones,” said a family member of one of the victims, who spoke to African Boulevard News.
The case is set to continue, and many are hopeful that justice will prevail for the innocent victims of the “Shakahola massacre.”